To view the video, click on the arrow in the middle of the screen.
What’s a Sunshiner?
Frail old people who have five or more of these characteristics:
- I’m near the end of my life.
- Every day I need help doing things that matter.
- I don’t want to be a burden on the people I love.
- I have trouble getting around, trouble with my memory, or both.
- I care more about being comfortable than I do about living longer.
- I would love to take less medication.
- I don’t want to go to the hospital.
Sunshiners deserve our love, time and care. We need to think very carefully before sending them to a hospital or treating them with drugs because they belong at home. They need permission from society as a whole, from doctors and other medical professionals, and especially from their own family caregivers to choose how they spend their last few years on this earth.
Thanks for visiting. While you’re here, share your experiences by commenting below. Or contact me–Dr. John Sloan–by clicking here. Your message will be delivered to my email box in complete privacy.